Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Songkran for the Holidays

Of all weekends we picked to go for a holiday in Bangkok, we chose the Songkran weekend. In case you didn’t know what Songkran is, it is THE wettest festival of the year as it is also the HOTTEST three days of the Thailand calendar! It was definitely not deliberate and completely unintentional and we only realised a few days before departing! Reading online about how some areas would be a splishy splashy mess of water-crazed revellers didn’t help much. Getting all wet (drenched, soaked!) wasn’t exactly my idea of fun. Especially not with my parents-in-law in tow, looking to shop till they dropped (more for my Mum-in-Law… Dad-in-Law asked if we were visiting any places of attraction, does Platinum Mall count?)

So we worked out a strategy in this “Water Games” – keep as inconspicuous as possible, never bringing attention to ourselves in any way, keep calm and keep away from groups of people armed with water guns bigger than any I have seen before, stay indoors in malls as much as possible, tightly seal up all our possessions, take cabs to all our destinations,…. Well, I guess our battle plan worked!

We survived unscathed with only a minor squirt of water to our tummies from a by-passer who wanted to share the joy. We were peaceably making our way to Central World and I just thought to myself when would my first experience of getting Songkran-ed occur and splish, my t-shirt was wet at the belly area. What you think is what you get?! Hah! Thankfully I kept thoughts of getting wet completely off my mind and I didn’t get wet anytime anywhere the next two days! Yay!

All in all, I would rate this maiden holiday trip with the in-laws a relative success! It would have been much better shopping without half the shops closed for the festivities but it was good and simple quality time spent together :)

Sorry no pictures, we kept our camera securely in a ziplock bag the whole time and it was a real hassle to take out. And I swear the moment we train our camera lens on any colourful party animals, we would be attacked front and centre!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...