Sunday, March 6, 2011

Inspiring Lady: Foo Mee Har

While I was flipping through The Sunday Times today (whilst struck at home nursing a swollen and infected left eye )=), I read an article about an inspiring lady, Foo Mee Har. She’s StanChart’s global head of premium banking AND also a mother of two teenage sons. What she has achieved resonates with me because she has been able to get to the top of her game career-wise and family-wise, whilst being petite and youthful looking!

I have reproduced some of her quotes here for your reading pleasure!

On leadership and success
..One of the core things about being a leader is getting things done.
I figured out that it’s not that difficult to do well. If you put in the effort, you will get the reward.
I had no career objective, I just wanted to do well.
Good leaders help people achieve what they want, great leaders bring people to achieve what they thought was not possible.

On juggling work and family
[It takes] discipline and planning…
When asked “Don’t you feel guilty when you’re not there with your kids?”
I tell them we shouldn’t think of our role as just that of traditional caregiver. We should also think about being modern women and inspiring our kids by pursuing our dreams and aspirations. They will respect you for being who you are and what you have achieved. You will be surprised at how much love and respect I get from my sons for being who I am and doing what I do.

You can read more about her in two previous Straits Times articles in 2009 and 2008. Do watch out for her during the coming elections too as she has been elected into the PAP’s executive committee. Talk about being a high achiever!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, i was inspired when I read it in the papers! Sweet success!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...